While many Mary Kay husbands know this from first-hand experience, this post is for those men whose wives may be entering The Pink Fog as newly recruited targets.
Guys, here’s the first thing you should know:
As a Mary Kay husband, you’re expected to ‘go along to get along.’ Do not question. Do not criticize. Throw your common sense out the window.
Second, if you don’t turn your brain off and keep your mouth shut, you’re likely to be branded as a “negative influence” and, perhaps, worse.
Mary Kay has taken control of your spouse, they have preyed upon her emotions and you will be expected to go along to get along…or else.
Even if you are the primary breadwinner, in addition to your day-to-day job and other responsibilities, her Mary Kay handlers have a new job description for you.
Here’s what you are expected to do for her Mary Kay “business”:
- Pass out her business cards and catalogs, special invitations.
- Help out at home in any way you can to free up time for her to do what only she can do
- Car up keep
- Chauffeuring kids
- Household Chores
- Preparing Meals
- “Parenting “ (Formerly known as Baby Sitting)
And, if that weren’t adding to your already full platter, your spouse’s Mary Kay handlers also expect you to be a personal secretary, office assistant and Mary Kay salesperson as well:
- Understand, and help her to develop and maintain a business expense accounting system
- Coordinate logistics and transportation requirements
- Assist in preparation of monthly flyers, etc
- Assist in arrangement for Monday night sales meetings, workshops, conferences and seminars
- Maintain the office equipment
- Promote her business to other husbands and friends
- Coordinate and manage all audio-visual requirements. (Photos, videos, posters and music)
- Assist in office management as she leads you.
- Help to ensure adequate office supplies and materials
- Make product deliveries sometimes, if she asks. (Offer to make a delivery, sometimes.)
- Help with inventory of product and placing orders
- Answer phone and handle anything not requiring the Consultant’s time
The sooner you realize you’ll be doing more than just paying the bills for Mary Kay, the better off you’ll be.
In the end, though, if you escape with your dignity intact and without thousands of dollars in credit card debt as well as a basement full of inventory, consider yourself one of the lucky few.
You see, along your spouse’s journey into The Pink Fog, you might be expected to stand up and take the Mary Kay Husband Oath and even wear a blue wig while dancing a Mary Kay gig for your spouse’s “success” in The Pink Fog.
Hey! If you’re not willing to stand on a stage and wear a blue wig, that’s okay. Mary Kay has other expectations for you.
According to Mary Kay, as a Mary Kay husband, you’re expected to support your wife’s Mary Kay “business”–no matter what.
Don’t like it? Tough.
If you’re merely a boyfriend and you don’t support your girlfriend’s Mary Kay business….well, according to one Mary Kay document [page 6], your girlfriend will be encouraged to get rid of you:
[Under Overcoming Objections] I have to ask my husband._ “Great.” Don’t you agree it’s better to ask for forgiveness than for permission?
Boyfriend.- Get rid of him. [Emphasis added.]
Do not criticize. Do not open your mouth. Go along to get along. That is the Mary Kay way.
- The Husband Unawareness Plan
- Pink Truth: A Husband’s Response to a Sales Director Quitting
- Pink Truth: Your Husband’s a Shallow Schmuck!
- Pink Truth: The Reality of a Mary Kay Husband
Featured image credit.